like I had hoped for

yesterday, I'm back with news of no rain and lots of trick-or-treaters.  We had a good night, well, evening and night.  It all started around 5:30 since so many people were wanting to get home to watch the Astros.


We had screaming.  We had crying.  We had running.  And there might have been some chasing/following.  What more can you ask for?  There were also people asking for pictures with us.  I noticed there were quite a few videos made too.  At one point, I accidentally dropped the smoke machine remote into a kid's candy basket.  I noticed after a we handed them candy and their mom requested pictures.  They left and I went to fog up the porch and the remote was gone.  I was able to do it manually but then a little later, the mother came back saying it was in one of the candy bags.  I guess for her to know which house it was, we were the only one with a fog machine going.  We decided to come in around 8:00.  We were hot and tired but I left the lights on.  Cosme went to get in the shower and I was in the kitchen.  The doorbell rang and I could see it was a bunch of older kids.  I snuck up to the door and slung it open honking my horn.  They screamed.  I handed out candy and then Cosme came rushing out in a panic to see what was wrong.  I had no idea what he was talking about.  He said he heard me scream.  Then I let him know it was just me scaring kids.

A few minutes later I was ready to turn out the lights.  One little girl came back to bring two smaller girls.  I gave each of the smaller girls two big handfuls of candy and asked the other girl if she had her bag.  She said she'd already been by and I told her that was fine and I was about to turn off the lights.  She said she didn't bring her bag back with her.  I just handed her my bucket with everything that was left.  I heard them back at their car, "MOM! SHE IS TURNING OFF THE LIGHTS AND GAVE US THE REST OF HER CANDY!" then I heard another kid's voice, "I WANT SOME!!!".

Now it's November 1st and I've got a lot of cleaning to do.  Masks and accessories all have to be boxed up (at least one of the costumes is going in the garbage, maybe the only downside of paper costumes), craft supplies can officially be put away, cords and lights all need to go back to their places, the outside light fixtures need to go back from red to clear...  All that preparation and excitement and when the next morning comes, it all has to be boxed up like it never happened so I can focus on Thanksgiving.

Totally worth it.