I'm trying not to get carried

away.  When it comes to Christmas lights outside on our house, I like clean and simple.  When it comes to other houses, I like clean and consistency.  I don't want a bunch of stuff in the yard because I thought it was cute last year and this year I'm going to add to it with something totally different that I think is cute this year.  I like to see lots of lights, lots of matching, straight, pretty lights... just not on my house.  Everything that goes up must come down.  Even more than putting those lights up, I would hate to take them down.

Last year I bought a few wire reindeer from Walmart.  They were cheap but the they matched.  They were equally plain and small, unlike the bigger, more elaborate deer you can find at some houses on our street.  I had Cosme get the deer out of the attic this year and one doesn't work and well, they didn't make it up.  Since our light-wrapped small trees don't really have much on the larger trees down the road, I thought I might find something else to put in the yard.  I went to Home Depot.

There are so many to choose from.

There are snowmen.  There are white deer.  There are brown deer.  There are candy canes.  There are trees.


 I could replace our deer with the bigger, more elaborate deer.


I started taking pictures because it was all overwhelming and I wanted to come home and think about it.  What direction did I want to go with this?  Did I want elaborate?  Did I want to go with pretty or did I want to go with cute?

Then I saw the dog, the brown dog with the ears that stick up and fold down like Maggie's that has a strand of Christmas lights in its mouth like it just tore down all the decorations.  I knew if there was going to be a decoration, it had to be THAT dog.


I found the box to get a better picture.  I wanted to show it to Cosme and see if he'd be able to talk me out of it.  I love that dog but the more I thought about it I couldn't see spending $59 on an outdoor Christmas decoration, especially knowing the neighbor's decoration was stolen last year.  It's like I feel like I'm throwing the money away just thinking about it.


I left Home Depot and came home.  After hanging the garland on the front door, I realized I needed another box of lights so I ran to Walmart.  Then I saw the cat.


I'm all about equality with the animals and knew if I was going to represent one, I needed to represent the other.  I got the $20 cat in case I went back for the dog.

I think we've decided to pass on the dog.  I told Cosme that Walmart does have a few dogs but they look like a schnauzer and basset hound.  That doesn't work because this dog at Home Depot is THE dog if I'm going to get a dog.  Since I bought the cat to go with the dog and I'm not going back to get THE dog, I'm returning the cat today.

To sum it all up, I've stuck to the way I like it, clean and simple.  I've got lights around the trees in the front yard and in the garland at the front door.  Oh, that trip to Walmart to return the cat won't be just for that though.  I already have a strand on one of the trees that isn't working right.  It's a good thing I'm keeping it simple.