tomorrow is Halloween and

I'm almost ready.  Plan B after the whole blue light discovery is creepy clowns and so far it's all coming together.  I went to the Halloween store to pick up a couple of masks and wigs.  (I try to do the masks because seriously, trying to scrub off all that makeup at 9:30 when you just want to get in bed isn't any fun... especially for Cosme whose bedtime was an hour earlier.)  Anyway, I found a couple of masks and then started to look for Costumes.  I found one that was meh.  This meh costume (which does come with a mask) was $50.  That's more than I wanted to pay, especially since I needed two.  I found another clown costume but it was $60.  Nope.


Time for arts and crafts.  I started thinking.  What if I got two of the white painters onesies from Home Depot and just splattered them with fake blood?  That was the plan... until I got to HD and realized that if they were suits to repel paint, they'd probably repel fake blood.  I was talking to another customer who overheard me asking the paint guy's opinion.  This customer said he has a few in his "graveyard" but it wasn't the painter's kind.  We looked and couldn't find those so he suggested scuffing them with a steel brush if the blood wouldn't stick.  Done.  I bought the suits.  Afterwards, I decided I'd hot glue felt dots to them for decoration.  I bought a few fuzzy things for fake buttons.


I came home and started cutting felt dots.  Halfway through I wondered if I would have arthritis or carpal tunnel by the time I was done.


My hand was still hurting yesterday with what felt like a possible blister in the making.  After finally finishing the dots, I started gluing.


 Just an idea of where it was headed left me feeling pretty good about my crafty clown suit.


The next dilemma was the clown collar.  I cut the hoods off the suits but they still needed some kind of flair around the neck, whether it be a ruffled collar or big bow tie.  I thought hard and searched and then I saw the tutus in the Halloween store.  I felt like one of those girls when I bought this thing, which was totally embarrassing.  I just wanted to explain to everyone that I was NOT buying this thing to wear as a tutu.


I made it home.  I figured if I couldn't make the costume work with just one tutu, for $12 I'd just go back and get another.  Once I opened the package I realized the tutu wasn't $12 but $21.  I wasn't about to spend another $20 on these costumes so I started cutting and gluing.

The clown suits are just about done.  Here's a preview.


I've already cut the booties off the suits and we'll just wear black boots.  I also have white gloves for us.  Oh, I also bought one of these from Walmart.  (not my video)



Today I'll need to splatter the blood so it can start drying.  If it doesn't work well on the suit, that should give me plenty of time to try to wipe it off.  I guess the gloves will need blood too.  I've never heard of anyone splattered with blood with clean hands.  I guess I also need to come up with a box to keep the candy in, something a crazed clown might carry around.

In the end, I saved a little.  The store bought suits started at $50, not including masks (except for the one I have pictured) and accessories.  My homemade suits ended up costing about $35 each and that includes the package of glue sticks.  They could've been cheaper if I'd gone a different route with the tutu.  Also, I have enough felt dots for another costume but whatever.  I saved and I'm good with that.

I've got to get busy with my to-do list.  I volunteered to make rice krispie treats to drop off at the church tomorrow and it's not like those clown suits are going to get themselves bloody.