i'm trying to plan

what to make for dinner.  A cool front blew through a couple of days ago but the afternoons are perfect grilling weather.  I have chicken I can grill but then I also have a roast to make.  Another front is blowing through in a couple of days so I could wait and make the roast then, when it'll be a little cooler.  Or, that chicken I had planned on grilling could just as easily go in the oven.  I just can't decide.  I grilled yesterday so I could take a break from it today.  Yesterday I grilled steaks.  Kroger had strip steaks on sale so I bought three.  I also bought a bag of potatoes because I planned to bake a couple and the rest could go mashed with the roast I'll make.  Knowing Cosme only has half a potato when he does have one, I went ahead and baked two.  Any extra could be my lunch or fried for breakfast.  I guess the cool weather was playing with my head.  I also baked chess squares.  I had an idea to pack half the pan up and send them to work with Cosme, hoping Eric would go by and get them.  So yeah, I had a lot of kitchen stuff going on.

I had chess squares cooling, potatoes baking, buttered French bread getting toasty and the grill was getting hot.

Archer knows what's coming.  Time to be a good boy (he usually is though).

"I'll just sit here and watch so you won't forget about me.  I like steak, you know."

The smell was affecting him.  Bring on the steak.

"I'm so ready."
 I took the lid off and there were happy faces all around.  It's like they've done this before.


Yes, that end is pretty charred and I worried that the dogs might be getting more of our meal than us.  No biggie though, it was nice and medium rare.  Also, remind me not to get those mushrooms from HEB again.  They weren't a hit.
 
I took the steaks off the grill and went inside.  I put the mushrooms in the oven to stay warm and was about to cover the meat but then I saw Cosme's car in the driveway.  There was another car too and it looked like Eric's.  I went outside and sure enough, it was Eric.  He was meeting up with some friends and stopped by.  So that extra steak I had?  That extra baked potato?  The extra chess squares that I was going to ask him to go get today?  It all worked out.  Eric had dinner and came back by on his way home to pick up his plate of chess squares.

I like it when things work out and just fall into place like that.  Too bad it doesn't happen all the time.  I will take advantage of it right now though.  The washer just finished AND I'm ready for cereal, just as I'm coming to a close here.  I've even got plenty to share in case anyone decides to show up for breakfast, not that anyone wants a bowl of Lucky Charms... but they might want to fold clothes.