this time last year I'd

already been to Dodo's funeral, was neck-deep in wedding stuff, had just found out about the baby, and thankfully, didn't have any idea there would be surgery in a few months.  If I had to pick one word to describe last year, it'd probably be overwhelming.  If I needed to pick one word to describe this year, so far, it'd be recipes.  Or, if given the option of two words, it'd be new recipes.  I'd much rather face new recipes than entirely too much going on.

That said, I tried another new one last night.  I saw that pork chops were on sale so I searched for a recipe and got pork chops.  Like meatloaf, Eric has never cared for pork chops so I knew I'd need to find a recipe that he might like.  I found Mongolian Pork Chops on AllRecipes.com and figured that would work.  I read over the recipe and headed down to buy pork chops.  I got to HEB and saw the pork chops on sale were thick steaks, not the thin pork chops I was used to.  (Need I remind everyone of a delicious but regretful pork chop experience from way back?)  The thick cuts had me a little nervous.  I already knew I wouldn't be outside grilling so I seared each side and then stuck them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.  We pulled them out and this was them after a couple of us had already been served.  They were a little overcooked but hey, it's better than the alternative.


And here's my plate with one bite left.


I forgot about the sweet but spicy mustard-like sauce that was supposed to go with them.  I didn't put any on my meat but thought it might be good with the broccoli.


I took a poll and everyone thought the pork chops were good, but Eric did say I should try it with beef next time.  I think he'll come around.  When he was little he didn't like bacon.  Well, he liked bacon but wouldn't eat it.  He'd chew it and keep it tucked away in his mouth for a good while, like a man with chewing tobacco.  Later on, he'd come to the kitchen and spit it out.  He eventually quit spitting it out.  Maybe it's just a pork thing.  I don't know.  Maybe I just need to find the perfect recipe.

2019.  The year Eric started liking meatloaf and pork chops?  It's possible.