i pulled hamburger meat

out to thaw yesterday and figured I'd make spaghetti.  It was more meat than I'd use for spaghetti sauce, it seems like we just had meatballs, and we did just have lasagna so I was trying to think of something different to make.  I thought about meatloaf.  Meatloaf has never been a big hit in this house.  The first time I made it, Cosme didn't care for all the ketchup.  Every other time I made it, Eric dipped his in ketchup.  I know meatloaf needs the ketchup but I never found a good recipe.  I turned to AllRecipes.com yesterday and picked THIS RECIPE.  I went into it figuring that if they ate it, good.  If they didn't, I knew I had hot dogs in the refrigerator we could use for backup.  I already prepped mac and cheese so at least we had that to turn to for the star of dinner.  I read over the recipe and the only thing I didn't have for it was carrots.  Oh, I also sprinkled in some garlic powder and a splash or two of Worcestershire Sauce.  (Those just seems like two things that should have been included in a meatloaf.)  I mixed it all up but instead of fitting it in a loaf pan, I put it in a 9x13 baking dish.  Paige and I were talking about meatloaf while I was fixing this one.  She mentioned the only one she ever liked and said she couldn't remember what was in the topping but she knew it included ketchup and mustard.  This one used ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard.  Sounded like baked beans and I like baked beans but not knowing how they'd react to it on meatloaf, I went easy.  So, I mixed it all up and into the oven it went.


It was a hit.  Even Eric, who has never been satisfied with meatloaf and even voiced his displeasure for the evening's menu, liked it.  He said it was really good and he really liked the glazed top.  I don't know who all went back for seconds and I did pack a slice for Cosme's lunch but this is all that's left from the 9x13 sized loaf.

I had already transferred it to a smaller dish but use my hand for reference.

Not much.  So yeah, I knew I needed a blog post to save this one.  I can't believe they ate and enjoyed meatloaf.  I was thrilled.

I have too much to do this morning so I won't be making a quick trip to the store to get anything for tonight.  To balance out the surprise deliciousness of last night's meatloaf with mac and cheese (oh, and homemade french bread),  tonight's Valentine feast will be chili dogs and french fries.  It's all about balance.  Who knows though?  I might break down and at least make a dessert.