remember when I got the notice that

the dogs were out on Thursday?  Well, they busted through two pickets on the fence.  I went to get new pickets and some nails before I went to get Dad's work boots.  Mom said she was packing up that day and wasn't leaving until the next day so I told her to come help.  I didn't feel comfortable walking around in weeds with standing water nearby while leaving my car wide open on 288.  I went back to the house and decided to go on to the fence and see what I could start on while I waited on Mom.  I couldn't do much.  There were too many weeds and I could barely maneuver.  I drove back around to the house and told Mom I'd also need to borrow the chainsaw.  She went back for the chainsaw and a cordless drill while I went to buy screws.  She came back with extra pants so she could do it for me.  Hey, I wasn't about to argue with that.  It's not like I'm the handiest person around.

First she had to take down the boards I started to put up.  That wasn't too hard because the nails were barely in.  I didn't bother trying to get the nails in all the way earlier because they were already going in crooked and also, it was hard to get to.

When weeds become trees.

This is after we were able to cut a few of the weed branches out of the way.  I also need a board or two replaced in the other direction.  I told Mom I wasn't going to worry about it until it dries up some.


She got the two boards up.  One man stopped because he thought we were having car problems (the back of my car was open with my hazards on).  I went over to his truck and explained that no, we were just replacing boards where my dogs got out.  He said okay and left.  We laughed because don't most people, when they have car problems, take a chainsaw over to the nearest fence and start cutting things down?  Although, he could've just been a good samaritan, thinking he was stopping two would-be crooks.  Maybe.

This song was on one of the stations when I was scanning the radio on my way back from the hardware store.


I had to take a picture of it.  I wasn't really driving nails but more like destroying them.

Anyway, the boards were replaced and I left the extra pickets in the car for a couple of days because they smelled good.  If there was a candle called "fresh cut wood" or "sawdust", I'd probably buy them.  Add "cedar fence pickets" to that list.


After that we sat around and watched a movie and picked weed debris out of our hair and clothes.  I stayed in the next day with a bad sinus headache, not thinking to diffuse peppermint oil until late in the day.  Way to go, Melanie.

We took pictures of the weeds because they shouldn't be like that.  Keeping those weeds trimmed is TxDot's responsibility.  I've always had problems with them keeping it clean back there, not the neighbors, just me.  I also raised a stink about it when we first moved and had the local state representative call them.  They've hated me ever since.  Now, do I say something about it with my pictures for proof because it does look bad?  Or, do I leave it because once things start turning green again, we'll have a lot more privacy with it there?  I just don't know.  If I do keep my mouth shut, there are definitely a few more boards we should replace before all the green grows back.  Also, it only adds to places for critters to hide or set up residence, causing the dogs to bark and want to get out again.  Decisions, decisions.  (I think privacy might win.)

Now I'm going to go do some chores and run some errands.  AT&T is coming this afternoon to change out the router.  Maybe then we'll actually get our 75 Mbps.  Fingers crossed.