week 2 of the Dogwood52 is

Composition: Color Harmony.  The actual description of the assignment was to "get out your color wheel.  Do opposites attract? Can there be harmony with opposite colors? Does the Hulk wear purple pants? Mix warm and cool colors."  The first opposite (or, complementary) colors that came to mind were red and green (probably because of Christmas).  The first non Christmas subject that came to mind was traffic lights.  "Can there be harmony with opposite colors?"  Yes.  An intersection (well, as long as nobody runs a red light).  That was my plan, photographing an intersection.  Since the subject is color harmony, I figured the best way to get color is to photograph the lights at night.  So that's what happened last night.  We went out to a few intersections.  My idea wasn't happening.  I couldn't get the right angle to put what was in my head in a picture.  I was getting frustrated so we drove around so I could see the lights from different angles, even angles from a block away.  I held my camera up to see what was in view and as the camera came into focus, I had another idea.  The lights were better when they were out of focus.  I drove back around to the original intersection that gave me a good view of both red and green lights, switched my lens to Manual Focus, unfocused the mess out of everything and there it was.  My picture for Color Harmony.


I just had a better idea though.  Picture this.  The camera on the tripod and set up at the corner of the intersection with a slower shutter speed to catch the movement of the cars with the green light and the stillness of the red light lanes.  Oh man.  I might have to go back out tonight and maybe even try a busier intersection.  That would definitely show the harmony of red and green.  Moving cars and stopped cars. 

By the way, this is the second week in a row I've stuck to this new challenge.  (Patting myself on the back)  I only have 50 more to do.