we tried a few new things

this weekend.  We needed something sweet so I found something on Pinterest that looked easy.  It's called 5 Minute Almond Cake but it should be called Sweetie Cake.


It tastes just like a sweetie and it took more than 5 minutes to make.  It mixed up pretty fast and didn't call for a lot but it baked for about 30 minutes.  Then it disappeared almost as fast.  Maybe that's why it's called 5 Minute Almond Cake.  It lasts for about 5 minutes after you make it.


Much like sand tarts, you can't sneak a piece.  My hoodie was sprinkled with powdered sugar.

I'm definitely making this again.

I'd also been thinking about Egg Roll in a Bowl and I don't know why.  I'd never had it but saw it on Pinterest and thought it sounded good.  I do like egg rolls.  I found a few recipes and bought ingredients.  I looked over the recipes and made my own.  I also picked up a package of egg roll wrappers to make "bowls", kind of like they do for taco salads.  Considering I had nothing to form them with except for my fryer's scoop, they weren't really bowls but just a base for the egg roll mix.


And since I had grease going and wrappers on hand, I had to try to make a couple of eggs rolls.  We ate those first and loved them.


Then we moved on to the bowls.

Then we realized we had too much of a good thing.

We were stuffed and done with egg rolls.  I guess that's why you get one with a meal and not an order of egg rolls with a bite of sweet and sour chicken.  Good call, Chinese restaurants.  Good call.

It took a while for the house to not smell like egg rolls and for us to get the egg rolls out of our systems.  (Not literally, just neutralize it I guess.)  I saved the leftovers, hoping we can try it again in a few days.  If not, I do have advice for anyone ever trying these out: stop while you're ahead.

Another new thing we tried this weekend was going to Eric's for his birthday.  We met Mom and Dad over there and had burgers and cheesecake.  Speaking of cheesecake, that would probably work for cleansing your palate after too many egg rolls.  I might have to try that next time.  I wonder how it would work for breakfast?  I might have to try that too.