have i mentioned how hard it

is for me to pass up a good deal?  It is.  It's really hard.  I didn't need beef tenderloin but I knew I wanted some.  Last week Kroger had their Nolan Ryan brand of meat on sale for 25% off.  I was talking to one of the guys who works the meat counter about steaks and told him that's what I really wanted but not for that much, pointing at the beef tenderloin.  The package was $125.  (Have I mentioned there's a wedding coming up?)  I told him that Eric's been wanting to make beef wellington.  I told Eric he should make it for me and I'd supply the meat, both of us knowing it would be after the wedding because well, make note of the $125... that's why.  (Have I ever also mentioned that not only is it hard for me to pass up a good deal but I'm cheap too?)  Anyway, I told the guy at the meat counter that and he said he'd break that one up for me and give it to me for $8/pound versus the sale price of 25% off $20/pound.  Cool.  I totally didn't set this up trying to haggle meat prices.  I mean is that even a thing?  He offered so how could I say no?  Did I go in planning to buy four pounds of beef tenderloin?  No.  Was I going to pass it up at $8 a pound?  NO WAY.  I had him cut me two 1-pound chunks (might as well get two at that price) and two steaks for that night's dinner.  I was so impressed with the sticker I took a picture of it to send to Eric.


The only problem was I knew the big chunks wouldn't be made for at least a few days.  So now they're wrapped tightly in the freezer.

Speaking of great deals, yeah, I bought more strawberries over the weekend but Kroger also had a deal on 5 pound bags of potatoes for 88 cents.  Raise your hand if you think I resisted the bargain.  If you raised your hand, you are 100% wrong.  Not only did I buy one bag for us AND one for Eric and Paige but I went back on Sunday and bought us another bag.  I made a few the other day so that leaves me with about 9 pounds of potatoes.  I do realize there are only two of us living in this house.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  I have looked up freezing potatoes and they need to be cooked first.  Oh, they also last longer if you take them out of the plastic bags... (added to to-do list).  Maybe I'll spend one full day cooking potatoes to freeze.  You'd think I'd be trying to work them into every meal but we didn't even have any last night or the night before.  The night before we had chicken sandwiches with STORE BOUGHT potato salad (hey, it sounded good and 9 pounds of potatoes or not, I don't have a good recipe) and last night we had sheet pan chicken and vegetables and that really goes with rice.  What's with all the chicken, you ask?  Guess what else was on sale for 88 cents a pound... boneless, skinless chicken breasts.   

I don't guess there's any need to mention our freezer is running low on space.  The sale that ended on Sunday also included Blue Bell.  I picked up a tub of that too.  Maybe I need to set up a day to clean out the freezer since I'm running across all these great deals.  I know there are some frozen dinners in there that we won't miss.  (When did Stouffer's french bread pizzas go downhill?  I used to like those things.)

Oh well, just a day in the life of a tightwad food hoarder.