sometimes you just have to

expect to be disappointed.  I gave the dogs their Trifexis yesterday.  This is the flea/heartworm pill that has to air out for a couple of days before they will eat it.  I've also found it's easier taken with wet dog food.  Oh, I also have to break the pill into little pieces to hide it even more.  The pills had been sitting out for a few days.  I popped open a can of wet dog food, grabbed a spoon and went outside.  I scooped a little food onto the spoon and grabbed one of Archer's pieces.  They took turns and were so good about it.  I divided the leftover wet food in their food bowls and they gobbled it up.

A couple of hours later, I heard whining.  It wasn't a hurt whine, it was a hurrying whine that I recognized enough to jump up and see what trouble they were up to.  I saw Archer going to town on a hole and Maggie had her back turned to watch the house.  I ran to the backdoor and yelled.  They came running and got locked up.


They were really close to getting out again, right next to the last escape route.  I need to buy more cinder blocks today.  I'm going to ask Mom to come ride with me and maybe help me out with Ellie.

I've noticed a couple of times that they seem to break free after they've had a treat.  I don't get it.  One day I might accept the fact that I have bad dogs that can't be trusted when left alone.

I need to bake a strawberry pie.  No, it's not my way of coping with disappointment, I just have strawberries that need to be used... assuming they're still good.  I also still haven't made the Brazilian cheese bread.  The tab for the recipe is still open, but I just haven't done it.  Hmm.  Maybe I should go ahead and make them and play the eating my feelings from disappointment card on those.

I need to get up and get busy.  I'm about to not have time to even start the pie and end up disappointing myself just as much as the dogs have done.