i've been looking at the

front porch lately and thinking it needs something... other than a good cleaning and a new front door.  I was thinking a little simpler, like plants.

I started looking up plants and went with ferns.  I knew I wanted larger pots and in my research, I read that instead of wasting money on potting soil to fill the pot with, put rocks in the bottom and fill the middle with non biodegradable packing peanuts.  I'm assuming non biodegradable is key so that your plants don't start sinking over time.  Anyway, I read that ferns don't have deep roots so you don't need to waste a bunch of soil.  The first thing I did was find two pots.

Here's one of them, fast forward to the day I decided to assemble it all.

Next I ordered packing peanuts.  Did I spend as much as I would have if I'd just used potting soil?  Probably.

This is how the packing peanuts were delivered.


The mailman sent a message letting me know that he left my package on the front porch and how that was probably one of the most interesting deliveries he's seen.  It does look pretty odd.

Next, I gathered chunks of broken cinder block from the backyard.


I thought the toad was going to delay my work but he played nice.  I didn't mess with him and he didn't mess with me.  And yes, the picture is also sideways.

Pile on the peanuts.


And here's the fern.


I didn't even bother with adding potting soil to the pot.  For now, I just placed the potted ferns in the larger pot.

Here's the porch now.


I'm not crazy about it.  I feel like it's too much and not enough space to walk through.

So... I went to all that trouble so I can probably move the plants to the garage door and leave the front porch as it was.

On the plus side, the toad didn't move while I placed the peanuts and fern in the pot.  As far as I know, he's still sitting there but with shade and privacy.

Your welcome, toad.