so the dogs spent the rest of


Wednesday in the cage since the fence needs patching.  Yesterday morning when I was going to let them out, I noticed Maggie couldn't put any weight on one of her front paws.  We thought there was something in it but couldn't figure it out.  I called the vet to get an appointment.  Since both dogs were almost due for shots and needed more Trifexis, I decided to take care of both.  They only had one appointment at 3:00 but allowed me to drop Maggie off early so they could check her out between other appointments.  I did that and took the 3:00 appointment for Archer.

I had to pick Maggie up so she could get in the car but she was happy we were going somewhere. 


Maggie going to the vet reminds me of Dodo.  Maggie is a social butterfly.  She's so happy to see everyone and I guess assumes everyone is so happy to see her.  She loves going to the vet.  They took her to the back and that was that.  I came back home to Archer.  He was sad and lonely.


He whimpered when I took Maggie so I felt bad for him.  If he only knew what was coming at 3:00 he'd have been whimpering for another reason.

The time finally came and it was Archer's turn at the vet.  Archer is the opposite of Maggie.  I had to pull him through the door.  He did figure out all he had to do to get the door open was push his nose against it.  He wanted to stay right next to the door (hoping for a chance to flee) and when it was his turn to go back, he sat straight up and pulled against me, trying to keep his feet planted to the ground.  This was getting a few laughs from other people in the waiting area.  Like the vet has told him before, "I thought you were a lab, not a chicken."  He hates it.  He sits under my chair to hide.  Yesterday he hid behind me in the corner.


He peed several times and shed a lot of hair.  The room had to be cleaned when he was done.

I took him home and then turned around to go get Maggie.  I could've taken them home at the same time but I thought I'd make it easier on myself.


The vet prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds for Maggie.  She couldn't find a puncture or stinger but believes Maggie was bitten or stung.  Telling her about the previous day, she said it was probably a snake bite.  Her ears are also inflamed and they put drops in them that are good for 14 days, which is also how long she'll be taking two antibiotics a day.  The anti-inflammatory won't last that long. The ear situation is probably from allergies.  I didn't mention how much Maggie sneezes.  The vet also told me I need to train her to stop licking her paws.  Tractor Supply was out of anything to wrap or spray her feet with so I'll head to LJ today.  If she's still limping on Monday, she has to go back.  As of this morning though, she's had two doses of antibiotic and three doses of anti-inflammatory and her limp isn't as bad.  I'm going to head out soon to find the spray for her paw.  I should probably get more cheese while I'm at it.  I think I'll get them the cheap stuff.  Heck, I might even get them a package of hot dogs too.  It'll take something good for that Trifexis to go down.  Oh, they're even having to take different doses of that this time.  Archer is still in the 60+ pound range (coming in at a few ounces over 60) while Maggie only weighed in at 55.  Two weeks of cheesy treats might change that.  We also have to work on the fence this weekend.  I bought a roll of that welded wire from Tractor Supply that's 36" high.  I stopped by the hardware store for staples to nail it in.  We'll attach in the sections between posts on the inside of the fence.  As soon as we can get the backside cleared out, new pickets will need to be hung.  If this doesn't work, I don't know what we'll do.  She can't keep breaking out.  

For now I'll try not to worry about whether or not she'll stay in and focus more on getting dressed and going to LJ.