i'd have to say my

favorite fruit is an orange.  I like apples, especially in a pie.  I love blueberries, especially in muffins.  I have to be in a special mood for a banana but I can put away some banana bread.  And while I could sit and eat the mess out of strawberries, I could probably eat more oranges.  I don't like orange in anything other than juice.  Don't add it to cakes or breads or even ice cream.  I don't want it.  I want an orange.  Plain and simple.

I tried planting a clementine tree once.  Maggie liked it better as a chew toy.  My neighbors planted lots of orange trees once.  They're flourishing and I'm totally jealous.

So close yet so far away

If this one would grow a little wider and hang over the fence, I'd be out there at night snatching them off the tree.  You don't understand how jealous I am.  I'd have oranges every single day if this tree were in my backyard.  Forget about the other three or four they have back there.  I'd settle for just this one.  Ugh.  I'm so jealous but, there are two reasons I can't have trees like that.

Reason 1


Reason 2


What was the start of a flourishing clementine tree is now just a storage spot for treasures.


Right now it's only leaves but it's had some awesome finds, like tennis balls, sticks, bits of plastic and all sorts of goodies.  Who needs delicious oranges when you can have a hole to hide things?

You know what I can grow though?  Rosemary.  It might not be one of my favorites but I have plenty.  I think I'll find a bread recipe and pretend like it's my favorite herb.  Maybe the neighbors would trade some rosemary for a bucket of oranges.  Maybe if I were more outgoing I'd ask.  Maybe, while I'm out getting that strawberry milkshake from Whataburger, I'll run by Kroger and pick up some oranges.