'tis the season for

blueberries.  I tried a new recipe yesterday for a blueberry muffin bread.  It is exactly what it sounds like, a blueberry muffin baked as a loaf instead of muffins.  I found the recipe here thanks to Pinterest.  It was easy and I couldn't stop myself from sprinkling some turbinado sugar on top before sticking it in the oven.

I gave it a little time to cool off before putting a little butter on to sample it.  I was not disappointed.  Sometimes I like butter on my blueberry muffins and sometimes I like margarine but this morning I opted for the third thing I like on my blueberry muffin.  The busted yolk from a fried egg.  That was breakfast.

I also don't think I ever shared another thing I tried.  I'm pretty sure I didn't share because it was last week and my pictures were having issues.  I think I had it typed and ready to share but that's as far as it got.  Anyway, when Eric moved out I started Pinterest boards for "food for 2".  For example, take this loaf of blueberry muffin bread.  There's a lot of it.  I've started having to freeze things before they get old.  That itself is getting old and filling up my freezer.  So, back to last week.  I found a recipe for Fudge Brownie Pots for Two.  I topped each with a little scoop of ice cream.

I also wasn't disappointed with that.  I also couldn't finish it... in one sitting.  I went back later and ate the rest.  I'll definitely make those again.

I've got to stick to the smaller portioned desserts for two because now I'm a little scared to go for a walk.  I decided to do something different yesterday and went across the highway to a park with a walking trail.  Cosme and I go there sometimes and I figured it was a pretty day so why not.  The park is between a nursing home, an elementary school and the softball fields.  The park has a couple of pavilions with picnic tables and several areas of playground equipment.  I pulled up and noticed ladies in scrubs under one pavilion, clearly on their break from the nursing home.  There were a few ladies out walking so I felt safe.  I started my walk with my music going.  I started thinking about why I stick to the right side of the trail.  Most people go the same direction but I guess it makes sense to stick to the right in case that one person walks the opposite direction.  But then I thought that maybe they could move out of my way and I could walk on the left if I wanted, it's not like we're driving.  Then I thought about the few people who choose to run.  Kind of like the highway, I guess it makes sense for the slower traffic to keep right.  So, I came out of the curve and decided I'd just stick to the right and that's when I almost stepped on the biggest water moccasin I've ever seen, coming from the grass and brush to the right.  Granted, it's the only water moccasin I've ever seen but still.  This guy was huge.  After I jumped and waved my arms, but while my heart was still racing, I had to stop and stare, just to check him out.  He was so big.  I wondered if he'd just eaten or something.  After I got the picture to share on fb (of course), I started walking again.  I completed one lap and decided I'd keep going.  I made it back around to the snake area and he was gone.  I panicked and started running.  Fear and craziness took over and I imagined him jumping out at me and chasing me.  I ran.  On a trail.  For about 20 seconds I looked all athletic and motivated and junk, like those people who go to a trail to run.  So for about 20 seconds I didn't feel like a wimp.  Let's go ahead and make it a solid 60 if you want to count the time I was hanging around to check out the snake.  I mean seriously, that's not something wimps do.  So I made it back to my car and noticed a lady just got there with her little boy.  They were eating lunch at a table and I was sure he was going to play on the equipment after that.  I walked over to show her the picture and pointed to where I'd last seen the snake (which was on the path near that pavilion) and which direction he was headed (toward the playground we were near) and she grabbed their food and the boy and left faster than I did.  I can't say much though.  I was only about 10 steps behind her.  I wasn't sure what kind it was but kind of thought it was a water moccasin.  I don't know much about snakes but I know water moccasins are black and I know pointed heads are not good.  I've also heard water moccasins stink and there was definitely a stink in the area but I wondered if it had something to do with the standing water from the previous day's rain.  It doesn't matter now.  I'm home, he's gone and I'm not going back to the park alone.

Looks like I'll have to walk off all this blueberry muffin bread in the neighborhood... you know, where there are still snakes and lakes versus standing rain water.  I give up.  Maybe I'll just stay home and bake.

No comments