hi there, remember

me? Yeah, probably not. I haven't been around much lately. It's not that I've been avoiding a post but while there has been a lot going on, there hasn't. On our way to Mom and Dad's over the weekend, we ran into horrible traffic. There was road work on 45 somewhere between Madisonville and Buffalo. You know those times when it seems like crews pick the worst time to do road work and you ask why they can't do this at night when there's not as much traffic? I ask that often and here's my answer. It doesn't really matter. There wasn't even work being done at the time, they just decided to leave one lane open. Oh well. This picture was taken in the hour's bumper-to-bumper mess we were in.
While we were up there, Lauren made mashed cauliflower. Eric tried it and liked it. I decided to sneak it in for dinner the other night in place of potatoes. I prepared it all while he was at school to hide any evidence. I was trying to keep a straight face. (I'm not the best at getting away with things. I laugh way too much.) He picked up on the giggles and asked what was in it. I told him cheese. He told me he knew it had cauliflower but wanted to know why I was laughing. I told him I was just trying to be sneaky about the cauliflower.
Eric then informed me he actually likes cauliflower and he prefers it cooked plain with salt and a little ketchup for dipping. The ketchup for dipping doesn't surprise me, he likes everything dipped in ketchup. What surprises me is that I never knew he liked cauliflower. I don't even know where he tried it because I'd never made it.
Speaking of making new things, there's a recipe that's been making its way around the internet and I tried it out last night. I was hesitant because I'm always hesitant when yeast is involved. It's rolls with onions, rosemary and bleu cheese. They were different. The cheese is only sprinkled on top but I think I might have put too much. I little less would have been better.
Here's the inside. The onions are strings that have been sauteed with garlic and then mixed into the dough. I like that. Like I said, I think there was too much cheese on top. Or maybe I should have just thinned it out more and not clumped it all on in one spot.
On the menu for tonight? Hamburgers with cauliflower "fries".