Things are happening

and I'm excited.  Five years ago, the neighborhood ACC approved an extension to our patio and walkway to go through the single gate we were about to add.  We added the single gate, but never got around to the patio.  The patio is coming... fingers crossed.  I say fingers crossed because they started digging on Monday and on Friday when they were waiting on the cement truck, it started raining.  They said they'd be back tomorrow to pour.  Guess what.  There's 80% chance of rain tomorrow.  I have already scheduled to take the dogs back to the vet for boarding tomorrow too.

Anyway, here's where they removed our pavers and will pour the walkway.


Doesn't that just make sense to have that gate right there?  And with a walkway?  I don't like getting my feet dirty and everything about this makes me happy.  And before we had the fence replaced, the only gate on that side was the double gate way in the middle.  Ahh...

So, here's where the extension to the patio will be.  Come through the gate and walk straight to the patio, no more booby traps from the dogs to deal with.  Also, now people can easily come straight to the back yard whenever we have stuff going on back there.  No more listening for the doorbell and all that jazz.  Gathering in the backyard?  No problem, come on back.


Here's another reason I wanted that concrete there so badly.


Look how dirty the brick is where the dogs would dig. Yuck. 

And here's the other side of the patio.


I'm going to add potted plants to hide the sleep aid window unit.  I need to find new storage for the water hose too.  That metal thing isn't going to stake into concrete.  I also already have plans for the stacks of stepping stones and pavers.


Before they cleared this area out, I didn't really think that would add much.  Once it was cleared, that spot looks a lot bigger than I'd imagined.  I can't wait.

Speaking of those pavers and stepping stones, there's one more thing happening.  I'm going to make a small platform to put in the yard.  Looking at that last picture, it'll be up against that fence but down to the left.  On that platform will be containers.  Containers of what, you ask?



I ordered a few seeds and I'm going to see how they take off.  Once (if) they start growing, I'll transfer them to containers and that will be the beginning of my container garden.


I read that roma tomatoes and zucchini are good for starting in July in this zone, so that's what I have.  The 5 egg holes on the right are roma tomato seeds and all the other holes are zucchini.  I also have zucchini in a little pot by my herbs (that'll mainly get shade) and I put some seeds in the flower bed too.

*not chives

Those will mainly get sun.  I'm hoping with the different areas, something will work.  By the time they're ready for a bigger container, I'm counting on the platform being ready.  My building skills aren't near as good as my gardening skills... and my gardening skills aren't good.  It sounds like the theme for July is high hopesLike needing a walkway for a gathering when gatherings are pretty much outlawed.  Oh well, I'll be ready when it's time.

So that's a few of the things keeping me busy and excited.  Once all this is done, I'll get back to trying to keep the dogs in the yard.  Did I mention they dug another hole and Archer went out along the back?  Yeah, that happened, right after I'd been bragging about how smart he is by not doing that again.  Whatever, I'm focusing on my concrete and plants right now.