i didn't check the mail

Friday or Saturday but this morning I did and a letter from Eric's school caught my attention.  I first wondered how they could tell me he's missed too many days when the semester just started.  Here's what I read:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Adame:
One of the most enjoyable aspects of a principal's job is to able to recognize students who have made a positive impact on the school community.


It is my pleasure to inform you that Eric has been named as a CHS Student of the Month for January 2011.  The Student of the Month program is intended to acknowledge students who not only meet their academic responsibilities but also serve as an excellent role model to other students because of their active participation in class, consistent consideration of their peers, and cheerful attitude in all activities.


After Eric was nominated for this honor by one or more teachers, his name was submitted to a committee consisting of both administrators and instructional leaders.  The committee members unanimously approved the selection of your child as a Student of the Month.  One nominating teacher wrote that "Eric is a bright young man who contributes to any class discussion."


Congratulations to you for raising such a fine young man.  I appreciate the time and effort it takes to produce a teenager with the many positive attributes that your son possesses.

So, the fact that his room is a wreck or that my car is littered with popcorn and other crap is being overlooked right now and we'll probably have lunch at the establishment of Eric's choice.