it's a dirty job but

someone's got to do it.  I promised Cosme I'd bake this cake.
 
This isn't one of those cakes that was at every family function as a kid but it's been around.  I called Mom last year and told her I needed this recipe.  Little did I know it was in one of the cookbooks I "inherited" from my grandmother.  (Okay, I didn't actually inherit the cookbook.  I took the thing.  Walked into the kitchen, picked it up and took it.  I didn't do anything wrong.  It's not like she was using it.)  Anyway, back to my post.  It was one of my grandmother's cookbooks, is dated 1968 and is in great condition.  Mom has one and I always liked it.  I didn't know what was in it but I liked the cover as a kid and I know Mom has always used it.  (I think most girls can relate, right?)  So last year or so I took Dodo's copy because I've always wanted it.  I've used it a couple of times.  Most recently, I used it yesterday and today to make this chocolate cake.  When I finished with it today I noticed that the once near-perfect pages with the chocolate cake recipe are now curled at the edges.
 
The once white pages are now speckled with chocolate and powdered sugar.
 
How is it my grandmother kept this cookbook nice and neat for 40 years but when I make one recipe a few times it's scarred?  It doesn't bother me.  I actually think a cookbook is supposed to be stained and worn... but I've had the thing about a year and have done more damage than she did in 40.  Oh well, maybe I need to actually try recipes on other pages.

NOTE: I know it probably sounds inconsiderate of me to go in and take the cookbook but look... I'm the oldest granddaughter and there are only two other granddaughters.  Since our mothers each have the same book, they will eventually get their own copy.  They're younger so they can wait.  Totally makes sense to me.