homecoming was

Friday. I don't guess I'll ever understand the reasoning behind it. What exactly is homecoming and more importantly, why is homecoming? The only thing I really know is that it's when everyone walks around with mums on.
Now, let's talk about these mums. I make an annual trip to Stewart's and spend a little over $50 to buy a mum. It seems to me that if homecoming were all about the school, there would be an organization within the school that meets to assemble these mums, sell them and have all the profit go back to the school. Doesn't that make sense? I'm paying the florist at Stewart's $50 for a bunch of ribbon. I'd probably pay a little more if it were to a good cause... like the institution providing Eric's education.

Think about it. The mums could be made throughout the year and stored. The school colors aren't going to change. They couldn't be hard to make. It's always the same materials. Again, the school colors are always maroon and white, nothing will be wasted. All the personalization such as names and years could be done on request at the organization's after-school meetings closer to the date. Why not? I even thought of something they could call themselves. Get this... The Homecoming Committee. Oh, is that too general? How about The Mum Committee? Whatever. If homecoming is about the school then the school should benefit from it. I'm just saying...