today is veteran's day

so I'm seeing my share of war documentaries on the History Channel.  The one Cosme watched last night was about World War II.  I asked him if I'd ever shown him a folder I have of my great-grandfathers.  I pulled it out and was flipping through the pages.  It's medical stuff, formal letters and telegrams.  The cool thing is as they talked about August 14, 1945 on tv, I flipped to a telegram from the same day.  "CEASE OFFENSIVE OPERATIONS AGAINST JAPANESE FORCES. CONTINUE SEARCHES AND PATROL.  MAINTAIN DEFENSIVE AND INTERNAL SECURITY MEASURES AT HIGHEST LEVEL AND BEWARE OF TREACHERY OR LAST MOMENT ATTACKS BY ENEMY FORCES OR INDIVIDUALS."

Then there is one from August 15.  "...HEARTIEST CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF YOUR COMMAND ON YOUR DRAMATIC SUCCESSES CULMINATING ON THIS MEMORABLE DAY IN COMPLETE VITORY.  YOUR OPERATIONS IN THE PACIFIC AGAINST OUR BITTER ENEMY WILL BE RECORDED AS THE MOST BRILLIANT HISTORY.  WE OF THE ATLANTIC SALUTE YOU."

I just thought it was pretty neat to read all these documents as they talked on tv and I do find history pretty interesting.  (Okay, fine, I think that stuff is pretty cool.)  Anyway, I figured I would share that since it is Veterans Day... which happens to be said great-grandfather's birthday.